Friday, March 9, 2012

3/8 - 2012 Open WOD 12.3

CrossFit Games WOD 12.3
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 18 minutes of:
15 box jumps (20/24″)
12 push presses (34/52kg)
9 toes-to-bar
143 reps (3 rounds 35 reps - 1 shy of 4 rounds)

This WOD was tough and quite a change up from the first two open WODs.  First off it had more than one movement and secondly it was almost twice as long as the others.  Going in I was quite worried about the push presses taking their toll on me (previous PR was 33kg - Feb. 7/12).  My goal was 5 rounds though Coach Tim told me to aim for 6 (he was judging me and it was awesome).

I started out feeling strong.  The box jumps were steady and once again I was able to jump up and down though I'm still unable to bounce right back up without resetting (something to work on).  The push presses came easier than expected - I think I did two sets of 6 the first round using the push press.  The toes to bar were where I struggled - it was the timing not really muscle fatigue (though my heart rate was definitely up).  Of all the movements this was the one that killed my score.  I could at best (and not often) string two together.   Coach Tim was fantastic though - encouraging and patient with just enough get back on that bar/box/stop resting aggression.  He was also very good to have coaching me through the toes to bar movement - being solid, fully extending forward/ utilising the full kip motion/ just going for it.  I'm confident that I can do better on these on Saturday morning when I re-do this WOD.  Will be gunning for 5 rounds!

The good:
-steady through the box jumps and jumped up/down on each round
-solid through the push presses - used split jerk on all but the first round but kept sets of 4 each go with a relatively short rest between those
-transition between movements was quick and got right on the next movement for at least one rep before taking a breather - Coach Match has been encouraging us to do this lately and it's working
-I maintained a level of hurt throughout but didn't want to die (or at least I've already blocked those feelings out)
-Tim was an awesome Coach/Judge
-Loved the vibe in the box doing this WOD even though only 3 of us were Rx-ing it everyone was going for it and also providing encouragement.  I recall staring and the bar for t2b and Bonnie standing across from me at her bar and she gave me energy in a few words - I also heard others (Brenda especially) as I pushed through and it was super motivating.  Also seeing Neil solid and steady and continuous on the t2b made me struggle through them harder.  The energy was fantastic.
-The time didn't feel as long as it sounded up front - the 18 minutes went by rather quickly
-I didn't swear at Coach Tim even as he told me things were looking easy for me (and I actually wanted to die)
-my new inov-8 xf 210 shoes... awesome

The bad:
-toes to bar - really need to get angry at these and just go for it on Saturday morning

No comments:

Post a Comment