Wednesday, September 19, 2012

9/18 - Snatches!!! Plus mobilty, WLC and Food!!!

Snatches!!! I loved the WOD I saw on the board when I got to the box but we’ll get to that...

I had a pretty busy and tiring day and was tempted to skip defer my training for Wednesday and Thursday but it was food coop day – aka food swapping day with Brenda and Angie and this got me excited and made me show up as I had food in my bag to share with them and them for me in return (more on this below)…  Anyway, I went… 

Warm-up 
Run 300m (thankfully no shuttle sprints this time)
3 rounds -
40 DU’s
30 mountain climbers
20 jumping squats
10 shoulder presses (snatch grip)
Leg swings
Shoulder mobility (with band)

This warm up was hard – specifically the three rounds in the middle.  I was surprised at just how much they hurt.  Tired legs definitely didn’t help though.  I was happy to get all of the DU’s unbroken in all three rounds.  The mountain climbers I broke up in to 20-10 each time as my shoulders were whimpering.  The jumping squats took a lot out of me and I think I did 10-5-5 pretty much every round.  The shoulder presses were the best (easiest) part and unfortunately went far too fast.  Mobility was good.  I like that we got a minute in each position with the bands doing both tricep/lat stretches on each arm and also shoulders.   

WOD 
75 snatches for time (20.5/30kg) 
5:36 Rx 

I started this WOD trying to keep pace with Kayla and Bec which was a big mistake on my part.  It was too fast for me and I got gassed pretty quickly.  I can’t remember exactly how I broke it up but it wasn’t consistent.  I should have had a better plan going in in terms of how I wanted to attack it but I didn’t know how it’d feel and therefore didn’t give it much though.  Mistake.  My technique was rushed at the beginning which made it more taxing for me and my forearms started to fatigue about halfway through.  I tried to focus on good technique while also pushing through the reps.  I’d love to do this one again with a better game plan but it was still good.  I love to snatch.


Source





















 Post-WOD
100 ab mat sit-ups
3:06

I don’t recommend doing this one two days out from a SUP race.  Killed my lower back and the ab-mat only contributed to the pain – the ab-mats are too big for me if that makes any sense and causes me to over-arch my back when I’m fully extended – do they make ab-mats for small people?  I managed a steady pace throughout though, no breaks which was great and it’s another time/score to post on our PR boards which was also cool.  I am feeling it today – it’s a good hurt.

Mobility
Quad rolling
Lats and traps
Beauty Queen (with Angie)

Did a bit of rolling out on my quads as usual (so tired, so sore) and a bit of focus also on my lats and traps which are super tight.  At this point Angie asked me to show her the beauty queen mob which we’d done once before (and I learned at Crossfit Kits) so we did this one taking turns helping each other set up and counting for them to ensure we held it on each side for about 40 seconds even though it was a struggle – hurt so good?   It’s a fairly painful mobility movement but has such great outcomes, it’s amazing to feel the before/after difference so I’m glad Angie got the ball rolling for us to do it.

WLC Day 4/ Food Co-op

Ate well all day today.  Only managed half of my breakfast before a 9am all morning meeting - usually I don’t get hungry for second breakfast until about 9:30 or 10am so it was a bit of a struggle to force it down at 8:30am which is why I only ate half.  At the coffee break in our meeting they brought in some snacks which consisted only of cookies – several varieties of cookies but cookies all the same – loaded with sugar.  While I was seriously tempted to have a Tim Tam I snuck back to my desk to grab my cashews instead and ate them happily through the meeting while having a second cup of coffee (usually I only have one per day).  I was proud of myself especially as I stole all the extra Tim Tam’s after the meeting to share with my coworkers who I sit beside – this made them happy.

Tuesday’s now have new meaning for me.  It’s now a day of deliciousness as I swap food with Brenda and Angie.  And it’s brilliant.  I was so excited to share my cooking and also to taste their culinary adventures in return.  I got some chicken curry from Angie and some beefy tomato goodness with zucchini ‘pasta’ and cauliflower fried rice from Brenda with some tasty ginger snaps that were oh so good.  I made kangaroo fajitas with zucchini, peppers (capsicum) and onions with a side of homemade salsa and banana/cacaonib mini-muffins.  It was a great trade all around and when I got home and was ‘preparing’ dinner it felt like I’d just picked up take-away on my way home and was opening up the tastiness.  The bonus – it was all WLC compliant and tasted way better than takeaway.  I have leftovers of Brenda’s dish for lunch today and Angie’s curry is on the menu for dinner tonight.  So much winning. 

I also dreamed of food creations last night, I think I’m already planning next week’s menu knowing that I have to up my game to keep on par with these girls – all part of the fun of it all which I love.  Thanks girls for the awesome dishes, I’m really excited about this weekly event and am already thinking about continuing it in some form beyond the 8 week WLC. 

Another WLC note – this one actually surprised me and I think it’s amazing.  At the box last night Paul mentioned that he’d tried to make my microwave chocolate cupcakes and while he added a bit too much baking soda he remarked at how easy they were and how he’s going to give it another go.  I love that – people trying new things and even maybe going outside their kitchen comfort zones to do so.  It was great to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment