Monday, January 21, 2013

1/18 - Friday Comp Training


The Friday night sport session at Southern was a blast.  There was a large turnout (about 30 people) and we partnered up to go through some warm ups and the WODs.  It was also a great environment because there were a bunch of people to cheer you on while you were working similar to what a competition would be like.

I was barely conscious after work and passed out for a bit on Cam’s sofa before he drove us over to Southern (I was too sleepy to drive). 

WOD #1
EMOM 10
HSPU’s
5-5-5-5-4-3-3-3-3-3

Set your own number of reps but make it challenging enough that you can be within two reps of where you started by the end.

I chose 5 as did my partner Jaz who went first.  She nailed it getting all 5 of her kipping HSPU’s unbroken every round. 

I started strong with 5 unbroken until round 5 where I struggled to even get 4 within the minute.  It seemed like I was pushing out the top half of each rep so it was really taxing on my shoulders (traps were still hurting from heavy cleans too).  I dropped down to 3 after the 6th round in order to just finish and that was tough.  Got some awesome feedback from Rich especially about how I’m actually kicking my heels into the wall on the kip rather than upwards and using the momentum to propel me.  Kat also noted that I need to tuck my legs further into my chest before kicking them out. Solid.  It’s good to have more coaching cues in my head when I’m doing these in the future.

WOD #2
6x1
Snatch Pull
2 x hang squat snatches
20-20-22.5-22.5-25-25

We did some warm up work on snatch pulls and squat snatches before loading up the bar to a suitable weight and doing 6 sets of 1 rep on Jono’s call.  We’d switch between partners right away and go through these.  Jaz and I started with 20kg and worked up to 25kg (27.5kg?) by the end.  It actually felt easier with the heavier weight on it.  Lots of focus on keeping heels on the ground and pushing through them on the snatch pulls.  Jono actually came by on one of the warm-up reps and held my feet on the ground as I pulled.  It worked really well to give me the feeling of pushing through my heels rather than coming onto my toes.  Felt good after that. 

WOD #3
5 minute AMRAP
5 x deadlift
3 x hang clean
2 x push jerk
45kg (Rx)
5/8 (5 full rounds plus 5 deadlifts and 3 cleans)

This was hard.  Each person did the 5 minute AMRAP and then switched off.  Jaz and I were using a 15kg bar and when she grabbed the plates for loading to 45kg she grabbed two 15kg’s and therefore there was no turning back once we started to take “a little” weight off the bar.  Early on the second or third set of deadlifts I could feel my forearms start to go.  This made the workout hard quite quickly.  I need to work on my hook grip now that there are the ‘skinnier’ 15kg bars to use.  By the end I was breaking up the round into 4 deadlifts then 1 deadlift and 3 cleans (if I could) then the two push jerks were oddly the ‘rest’ part of the WOD.

Fun night and at the end we broke up into three groups for some stretching with each person leading one stretch.  We were a large mass of sprawling bodies but it was also a great way to meet people and chat at the end of a Friday night workout.

Afterward Cam and I stopped for some Nando’s – chicken totally hit the spot – and then it was bed time.  I really don’t remember much after dinner and getting back to his place.  Was a little tired and then struggled to sleep even as my entire body was relaxed and tingling and my brain though not thinking about actual things was fully aware of what was going on around me.  It was weird and I got grumpy because all I really wanted to do was fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment