Friday, August 26, 2016

25/8/2016 - squats and skipping and snatches oh my...

Did a bit of catching up on WODs today but the sun was shining and there was a hint of spring in the air so it was just nice to be outside.

Strength
10-6-4-6-10
Front Squat
35-40-45-40-35

This was actually programmed by Southern Crossfit on Wednesday and while I wanted to do it time just escaped me and I never got to it so it got delayed by a day.  I also did the Southern Crossfit WOD that was posted today so it was a bit of a mish-mash but still fun (besides the nearly dying once the WOD was over but we will get to that in a bit).

The front squats weights were supposed to be slightly heavier on the second 6 and 10 than the first but I just kept them the same for ease of plate changes and mindset as just doing them was a bit of a struggle once I got moving into them.  Again, focused on form over weight and just getting used to the movement pattern as it's been a while (at least before this week it has been).  Thankfully though the second set of 6 and 10 felt way better htan the first - likely a function of being warmed into them a bit more.

WOD
For Time
20-40-60-80-100
double unders
10-8-6-4-2
hang power snatch (60/40kg)
10:49 @25kg

What a lung burner.  Kept it relatively light on the snatches which in hindsight was a very good thing.  Though I held on to all the sets unbroken it was still a bit of a struggle and felt like putting the bar down and picking it back up again would be harder than just a short rest at the top of the snatch. 

The double unders were tough even though technically I am still good at them and can string them together in big sets by gasping for breath usually stops my momentum so I was doing at most 25 at a time but generally just trying to hang on for 15-20 throughout.

I tried to minimize rest as much as I could and telling myself to just start jumping again even if it was just for a few reps as that would keep me chipping away at the bigger sets of 80 and 100 and it would be all done sooner than if I just tried to rest which would never be long enough anyway.

I was happy with how I finished.  Other than increasing my aerobic capacity to do bigger sets of DU's thoughout I can't say I wasted too much time just hanging around so that was good. 

I liked this one and was nice to do it outside in the sunshine though I did get a bit warm at times. 

When it was over I think I laid on the ground for a good 5 minutes and even then still couldn't catch my  breath so that tells you how good it was for me.

Finished up the day with some ultimate practice - an hour or so of running around which again will hopefully mean less leg hurt tomorrow.  We will see.  I think my calves are going to pay the price (as usual) for so many double unders.  Fun times.




No comments:

Post a Comment